News From The Pig Pen

It’s been a week and two days since the piglets arrived and so far all is good. I have to admit, I am quite enjoying taking care of the little buggers, even though I pick up their poop at least three times a day.


It took a few days but they finally trust me to come near them. I can pet the female pig, and although the male pig is still a little skittish, he is coming around. I let them try new foods every day – they like tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, goat cheese, goat milk and apples. They follow me around the pig pen every time I go in there because they think they are getting treats. I started to limit it to dinner time treats so that they don’t expect something every time.

Now that they trust me, they are starting to get bold. The other day I was squatting down in the pen, petting one of the pigs. The other one went around behind me, saw my cell phone sticking out of my back pocket, and tried pulling it out with it’s mouth!

So then I took this pig selfie:


They also keep trying to take a bite of the poop shovel handle. I wonder if it’s because they are trying to be playful with me, or if they really do think it’s like food. They’ve also taken to chasing and wrestling one another around the pen. They literally never leave each other’s side. I always knew they were herd animals, but I didn’t realize how literal it was.

They are amazing at digging with their snouts. Sometimes I just watch them as they tear up the dirt. Their snout acts like a little shovel that rips through the top soil and pushes dirt away. The pigs are always chomping at something in the ground but I can’t get close enough to see exactly what. I think they are eating roots and bugs and worms.

We just switched them over to new food today. The first bag of food I bought them was from Agway and I literally just asked for whatever piglet food they had available, which ended up being pellets. The pigs liked that well enough, but we wanted to source the food locally, since we are such big supporters of buying from the local market. We hooked up with the farmer that we purchased a quarter cow from, whose farm is only a few miles down the road. He grows all his own pig feed of corn and grains, and grinds them all up together in a mix. The pigs did not seem to take to it right away this evening, even though I mixed it with pellets and vegetables, but they seem to take a few days to get used to anything new so I will give them a little bit of time.

The pigs are getting huge already. I can see a size difference even after just a week. The female, who is a little bigger than her brother, is already big enough that I do not think I could pick her up anymore, even if she would let me. The male is starting to catch up a little bit. I’m not really sure how to figure out their weight from here on out. It’s not like I could get them to stand still on a scale, let alone have a scale big enough. Our butcher told us to send him a photo at the beginning of November and he would be able to tell if the pigs were big enough.

They are fun, though. I love watching their little curly tails wiggle and wag around as they run around the pen, chasing each other and looking for snacks on the ground.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s